Friday, October 26, 2012

Part 1: Does the appointing of Judges work for Georgia?

One of the most hotly debated questions on how to organize judiciary branch is whether to elect or appoint judges. The diversity of opinions is clearly visible across the democratic spectrum - while most European nations use appointment there are notable exceptions like US, Switzerland and Japan. It seems what works well for one nation might not work for the other. In the past years we, citizens of Georgia, have clearly demonstrated our strong disdain to selective treatment and refusal to live in an unjust society. Justice, as the previous government learned the hard way, is paramount to our sense of well-being. 

When I was twenty-two I had my first brush with the far-reaching hand of the American law. It was a trivial matter of speeding really, I was doing good 25 miles over the limit when the blue-and-red lights flashed in my rear mirror. I don't know why I was speeding. Maybe because I was young and bored, maybe it had something to do with the way that particular vehicle drove itself or maybe I wasn't speeding at all as claimed on the traffic accident report. Who knows. The important thing is I was pulled over, identified, questioned, warned and finally a gaunt officer in his middle ages scribbled something on his notepad and handed me a small, yellow piece of paper. The paper stated I was to appear in the court of law and contend my claim against the People of Illinois. The date for appearance was not given but the fineprint on the other side promised  there would be further communication on this.

I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of going mano-a-mano with the People of Illinois. I didn't really see how it would help my carefully calibrated sense of well-being. So, I did what any rational human would do - hired a sleazy lawyer to poof the problem away. His name was Mike and he was as slick as a whistle. We met in a coffee shop a few days after the incident. He listened to my story with an unreadable grin, then cheerfully informed me I would probably have to pay a hefty fine plus 6 to 12 months of probation. "It is in DuPage county, you see, their Judge is a pain in the rear, he actually has his office call the cops to come to the traffic case hearings" - he said and then proceeded with inspecting the little, yellow scrap of paper. "Good news!" - he whistled in a moment -"It's not in DuPage, it's in Cook county. You got lucky! That intersection was right at the county boundary". "Does it make a difference?" - I asked. "Oh, yea, tons. Cook county will be a cinch, they got real criminals there" - he laughed dubiously. That was that. Mike took the papers and left. I went home and checked out his story. It was true. DuPage was notoriously known for going overboard with petty misdemeanors. Cook county, on the other hand, was as lax as a Vegas AA meeting. In a week the whole thing was settled - no fines, no public records, no traffic schools, no insurance nonsense. I didn't mind it but this got me thinking - how was it possible for the same law to be upheld so differently literally across the street? How could these two judges have handled the same case so unequally? I didn't think think about it for too long though, I was twenty-two and my vehicle wanted to drive itself.

Many years later the same question came back with irksome somberness. In 2003 Rose Revolution brought a new power in charge of Georgian state - UNM. It made many promises but above all promised to fix the country's ailing Judicial system. The plan was  to drag it out of the swamp of corruption and incompetence it's been in for eternity. UNM had all the judges pass a well-publicized test to make sure it was merit that put them on the bench not favoritism. We all waited patiently. Hoping for the Judiciary system which would truly upheld the rule of law, bring justice to all and strike down corruption at any level of public life. Nine long years passed. Where are we now? Georgian prisons are overpopulated, inmates are treated beyond inhumanity, the first PM has been murdered under suspicious circumstances, horror stories of wealthy business owners being coerced into surrendering their profitable enterprises abound. In 2012 Heritage Foundation wrote the following assessment about Georgia - "The rule of law is not strongly enforced. Despite some reform efforts, the judicial process remains subject to political influence and corruption. The effectiveness of the court system has not improved notably as a result of the requirement that judges be tested before appointment. The protection of intellectual property rights is erratic and largely ineffective. Corruption continues to undermine all facets of economic freedom". The truth is we ended up where we started, the only difference is the scale. 

Apparently having Georgia's judges pass a merit test was not enough. Once all was said and done they ended nodding their heads to the hand that put them on the bench. Why didn't it work? Where did the system fail? What can we do differently this time?  

5 comments:

  1. The subject of why judiciary reform was one of the least successful is a very complicated one. I'll try to put my thoughts together on this over the next few days but here are two quick comments:

    1. In the US, all federal judges are appointed by the president and confirmed by the senate - none of them is elected. On the state level, each state can decide whether the judges are appointed or elected - so, it varies by state. Here is a good overview of the US judiciary system: http://www.uscourts.gov/EducationalResources/FederalCourtBasics/CourtStructure/UnderstandingFederalAndStateCourts.aspx

    2. "Georgian prisons are overpopulated, inmates are treated beyond inhumanity, the first PM has been murdered under suspicious circumstances" - this is hardly relevant to the judiciary system (and some this is very argumentative). So, I'm not quite sure why you bring it up here. In the US, prisons are overpopulated as well (there are more prisoners per capita in the US than there are in Georgia) - but I don't think you'd say that this is a result of a deficient judiciary system

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding #1 - I never said every judge position in US was elected. I only said US was a notable exception along with a few other countries. Please, read other people's statements carefully. There is a very specific synthesis of the two approaches exercised in a small number of US States I think might work for us. Part 2 will expand on it.

    Regarding #2 - I meant the prisons are overpopulated with people convicted based on inadequate due process. Hope the statement is now clear.

    If you still have doubts about the inmates being treated inhumanly,... I guess you prefer not to trust your eyes very often. The correlation here is that in a country with impotent courts of law there is no mechanism for the tortured prisoners to sue their abusers and attain justice.

    Finally, if the nation's PM being murdered under suspicious circumstances and and the case not being brought to justice for 9 years does not speak poorly of the Judiciary system as a whole, I don't know what does.

    In general, if you consider Georgian Judiciary system has not failed in the past 5 years you could just vote for it continuing on its merry way. This is also an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giorgi,

    To address the above points before I get to the 'meat' of the post:

    1. I’m sorry for the misinterpretation – your statement led me to believe that you think that in the US judges are primarily elected – hence my desire to point out the discrepancy

    2. We probably disagree on this but I don’t think that a large percentage of people in prisons are a result of deficient judiciary system. While I do think that there are some people who are there undeservingly, I believe that the majority are there as a result of ‘zero tolerance to crime’ policy. We’ll find out if I’m correct soon enough: the upcoming amnesty will give us a rough idea of how many innocent people ended up in prison. I think the amnesty will overestimate the actual number, but it should be in the general ballpark. I will be very surprised if the amnesty will affect more than 10% of inmates (2,500 people)

    3. I have no doubts that inmates were treated inhumanely. Prison, in general, is a rather inhumane place. I hope the new government will investigate all the cases of inhuman treatment so that we know what the extent of the issue was. Having said that, I do think that this is primarily an issue of the penitentiary system – judiciary system is only tangentially responsible. I understand your logic, but by the same token most issues in government and the society at large can be assigned to a faulty judiciary system

    3. PM’s murder not being thoroughly investigated is definitely a failure of the system – but not of the judiciary system. Would you consider the fairly questionable investigation of JFK’s murder to be a failure of the US judiciary system? If so, I wonder if you think that US judiciary system was in as bad of a shape in the 60’s as Georgian system is now

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I’ve made it very clear in the conversations we’ve had that I think Georgia’s judiciary system is the area where UNM reforms failed the most. But let’s not assign failures of other parts of the government to the judiciary system (especially as it has quite a few issues of its own).

    Now, why did this happen? I will not pretend that I can do justice to the entire complexity of this question, but here is how I think about it:

    Failure in the judiciary system can result from several factors (the terms are invented by me):

    1. “Monetary corruption” – when people can bribe judges with money. In this case justice disintegrates and basically favors the highest bidder

    2. “Influence corruption” – when judiciary is not independent enough from the other branches of the government (either legislative or executive) and justice becomes a servant of the political force in power

    It seems like UNM was successful in addressing the item #1 but utterly failed to address item #2. The issue is that item #2 cannot be fixed by simply retraining judges or having them pass exams (even if the most rigorous ones). The criteria that I believe need to be met to eliminate “influence” corruption are:

    1. Judges should not be dependent for their appointments on a single political force. If the single political force appoints judges the entire system gets corrupted over time. Those who want to become judges seek the approval of this political force by trying to ‘score points’ and bending justice here and there (even when they are not pressured) so that they could advance their careers (and once these people become judges it is very difficult, if not impossible, for them to stop). It required incredible discipline from the political force in power to ensure that such things don’t become widespread. It seems that UNM was either unwilling or unable to exercises such discipline over the last 9 years

    2. Judges should not fear being removed from office or their income reduced because of displeasing the political force in power. The mechanism here is similar to what I described above, but here the influence on judges can be excreted through both formal and informal channels:

    First, let’s consider ‘formal’ channels. This is when judges can be removed by legal means. For example, if the president has the right to remove judges from office directly. Or if the parliament can vote judges out of office by a simple majority (and even potently by a constitutional majority). These issues are fairly easy to fix by putting a proper constitutional framework in place.

    However, the ‘informal’ influence is much more difficult to address. This could manifest itself through other branches (most likely the executive branch) making life for judges difficult by harassing them with the most extreme case being ‘framing’ of uncooperative judges and putting them in jail. Just like the issue I described above, it requires incredible discipline from the political force in power not to be tempted by all the benefits it can extract by pressuring judges. It seems UNM for one reason or another failed to exercise such a discipline as well

    All in all, when judges are dependent on a single political force for their appointments and this single political force is capable of removing them from office, or at the very least is capable of making their lives very difficult either by legal or illegal means, it is extremely difficult to develop a well-functional judiciary system – even if the constitutional framework is set up in the best way possible.

    Georgia was exactly this situation (with numerous other complications which I left outside of the scope of this comment) until UNM lost the elections. Now, it seems like the balance of power is favorable to the development of an independent judiciary, and I think with proper constitutional framework in place, Georgia has a chance of starting to develop a well-functioning and independent judiciary. Whether this chance will actually be taken, depends on the will of the new government.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for addressing the questions from my original reply. I think US has a very interesting legal system due its unique history and federalist nature. While Georgia might not be able to absorb most of its lessons, some interesting ideas can be brought to discussion. I'll cover this in the second part of the post. BTW, are you aware of any statistical data on the percentage of cases processed by state courts (vs. federal ones)? I spent some time over this weekend looking for it but strangely can't find much info.
    Regarding #2 - I was referring to the individuals being convicted without due process not the innocent ones. Even those who might be considered guilty by popular opinion and wealth of indirect evidence should be at least retried if their lawyers show there was lack of due process. Please, don't take it as a petty nitpicking; there is an important distinction between innocent and unduly processed. We both know OJ should probably have been put in the cage for life but…
    I am glad I could explain my logic regarding the prison system issue. I know firsthand of an individual treated horribly during prior detention and later in prison. He wanted to sue his torturers but their no lawyer took the case because they thought the judges would simply throw them out. He is planning to try again. It is one thing to joggle statistics but when you put a human face on these issues, their somberness really hangs heavily.
    Finally, regarding the murder of PM Jvania, when looked narrowly at the function of judiciary, I see your point. I hope you can also see my point when looked at it as a failure of the entire legal system as such. As for JFK - I absolutely believe it was and still is a glaring failure of the American legal system.

    ReplyDelete